Sunday, September 25, 2011

PDP - Updated

Life purpose/Mission:

-To work towards something I find to be of personal value in which I can physically see the results of my labor.
-To be presented with new challenges each day causing me to change and adapt as I progress in my chosen career.
-To have a independent side to my work, not necessarily be my own boss (however if possible it would be nice at some point).
-Travel as much as I can while by responsibilities are few.
-Start a family some day

Dreams/Goals:

-Short Term:
  • Take the G.R.E
  • Find some interesting internships to apply to
  • Gain more experience in fire ecology, work on a burn crew
  • Travel as much as possible or at the very least live somewhere outside of the Midwest.
-Long Term:
  • Graduate School
  • Find a more permanent job or project
Values:

-My two highest values are my family and my close friends.
-I value hard and honest work.
-I value supporting ones local community.

Lessons/Mistakes:

-The old saying "Those who do not learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them" is most often true in my opinion. I have learned some of the most important lessons through trial and error.



Accomplishments:

-Keep track of all successes in life, however, do not dwell in the past.


Update: Find four jobs to apply to this winter break and a couple of graduate schools to look into. 

-Created a profile on the americorp.gov to begin the process of applying for a couple of positions out in California and Colorado that are related to my current area of study - environmental science. Each position offers an education stipend as well as student loan deferrals during the extent of employment. The positions have a possible length of over a year of employment and being involved with americorp is a great resume builder. I am continuing to search for new job openings and plan to start sending out applications and resumes over winter break. 

-I looked into the graduate programs at Southern Illinois University and University of Minnesota. These programs interested me because I have experience as well as contacts at each school. I had the opportunity to visit Southern Illinois University last spring where I became acquainted with some current graduate students as well as a couple professors. University of Minnesota - St. Paul interested me because I spent the last summer assisting a couple of students that are in the natural sciences program perusing a PhD. Working full time with them helped me to meet some of the faculty as well as get an idea of what the program is like. Also the U of M is practical because of its proximity to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment