Tuesday, December 6, 2011

5s Process

Post a record of a 5S process that you have completed. Post a before and after picture. Also, post a short narrative of how you addressed each of the "8s's" of the 5S process. Due Nov 11. 
Before: Very messy desktop, files from over a year ago including many that I am not sure the purpose anymore. My whole hard drive needed organizing and "cleansing".
Sorting- All files were sorted into three main categories: classes, jobs, and files to be deleted.
Straightening - New folders were created in my documents labeled with the same categories I had divided by misc. files and programs.
Systematic cleaning - Any duplicate files as well as old files that do not need to be saved were deleted.
Standardizing - By reviewing and sorting all files by the new system a standardized method was created to how I now save my work to my hard drive.
Sustaining -The new system of organization is sustainable in the sense that I can now utilize this system in storing any future documents.
Safety - Through the creation of obvious folders/sub-folders my files are safe from accidental deletion.
Security - All files/programs that are in these new folders were backed-up on an external hard drive securing them from corruption or deletion in the event of the computer crashing.
Satisfaction.- I am satisfied with this new system because now I can work more efficiently on my computer without searching for lost files, and can easily back-up all new files by simply saving the two new folders to and external hard drive.

After: Cleaned up the desktop, all classwork and other files were organized in my documents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment